Polyethyleneimine - based materials for gene therapy, bioimaging and drug delivery systems applications
Polyethylene (PEI) has certain properties that have been widely considered for medical purposes. PEI has a primary, secondary and tertiary cationic structure that gives it special chemical properties that make it have special applications in medicine. The amine groups on PEI are used for biomedical applications such as the preparation of organic / inorganic or organic / organic composites. In this paper, we review the latest scientific advances in medical applications of PEI, such as bioimaging applications, especially cancer diagnosis, gene therapy, and drug delivery systems.
2. Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Arjmand M, Amani AM, Sharif F, Jahandideh S. Octadecyl amine functionalized Graphene oxide towards hydrophobic chemical resistant epoxy Nanocomposites. ChemistrySelect. 2018;3(25):7200-7.
3. Shao L, Wan K, Wang H, Cui Y, Zhao C, Lu J, et al. A non-conjugated polyethylenimine copolymer-based unorthodox nanoprobe for bioimaging and related mechanism exploration. Biomaterials science. 2019;7(7):3016-24.
4. Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Amani AM, Saed H, Jahandideh S, Mojoudi F. Polyethylene terephthalate/acryl butadiene styrene copolymer incorporated with oak shell, potassium sorbate and egg shell nanoparticles for food packaging applications: control of bacteria growth, physical and mechanical properties. Polymers from Renewable Resources. 2017;8(4):177-96.
5. Virgen-Ortíz JJ, dos Santos JC, Berenguer-Murcia Á, Barbosa O, Rodrigues RC, Fernandez-Lafuente R. Polyethylenimine: a very useful ionic polymer in the design of immobilized enzyme biocatalysts. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2017;5(36):7461-90.
6. Raeisi F, Raeisi E. Mini review of polysaccharide nanoparticles and drug delivery process. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2020;1(2):33-44.
7. Abootalebi SN, Shorafa E. The Recent advances in gene delivery using nanostructures and future prospects. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2020;1(2):45-52.
8. Bai Y, Xiong C, Wei F, Li J, Shu Y, Liu D. Gelation study on a hydrophobically associating polymer/polyethylenimine gel system for water shut-off treatment. Energy & Fuels. 2015;29(2):447-58.
9. Zou Y, Li D, Shen M, Shi X. Polyethylenimine‐Based Nanogels for Biomedical Applications. Macromolecular bioscience. 2019;19(11):1900272.
10. Pandey AP, Sawant KK. Polyethylenimine: A versatile, multifunctional non-viral vector for nucleic acid delivery. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2016;68:904-18.
11. Hoseinzadeh A, Sadeghipour Y, Behbudi G. Investigation Preliminary antimicrobial and anticancer properties: on Topic Rubia tinctorum plant by using Polydimethylsiloxane (CAR/PDMS). Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2020;1(1):10-9.
12. Masoumzade R, Behbudi G, Mazraedoost S. A medical encyclopedia with new approach graphene quantum dots for anti-breast cancer applications: mini review. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2020;1(4):84-90.
13. Hasanzadeh L, Darroudi M, Ramezanian N, Zamani P, Aghaee-Bakhtiari SH, Nourmohammadi E, et al. Polyethylenimine-associated cerium oxide nanoparticles: a novel promising gene delivery vector. Life sciences. 2019;232:116661.
14. Mousavi SM, Hashemi SA, Ghasemi Y, Amani AM, Babapoor A, Arjmand O. Applications of graphene oxide in case of nanomedicines and nanocarriers for biomolecules: review study. Drug metabolism reviews. 2019;51(1):12-41.
15. Hao F, Li Y, Zhu J, Sun J, Marshall B, Lee RJ, et al. Polyethylenimine-based formulations for delivery of oligonucleotides. Current Medicinal Chemistry. 2019;26(13):2264-84.
16. Abdallah B, Hassan A, Benoist C, Goula D, Behr JP, Demeneix BA. A powerful nonviral vector for in vivo gene transfer into the adult mammalian brain: polyethylenimine. Human gene therapy. 1996;7(16):1947-54.
17. Ferrari S, Pettenazzo A, Garbati N, Zacchello F, Behr J-P, Scarpa M. Polyethylenimine shows properties of interest for cystic fibrosis gene therapy. Biochimica et Biophysica Acta (BBA)-Gene Structure and Expression. 1999;1447(2-3):219-25.
18. Mousavi S, Zarei M, Hashemi S. Polydopamine for biomedical application and drug delivery system. Med Chem (Los Angeles). 2018;8:218-29.
19. Garayemi S, Raeisi F. Graphene Oxide as a Docking Station for Modern Drug Delivery System. by Ulva lactuca species study its antimicrobial, anti-fungal and anti-Blood cancer activity. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2020;1(2):53-62.
20. Zhao J, Lu C, He X, Zhang X, Zhang W, Zhang X. Polyethylenimine-grafted cellulose nanofibril aerogels as versatile vehicles for drug delivery. ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2015;7(4):2607-15.
21. Han SC, He WD, Li J, Li LY, Sun XL, Zhang BY, et al. Reducible polyethylenimine hydrogels with disulfide crosslinkers prepared by michael addition chemistry as drug delivery carriers: synthesis, properties, and in vitro release. Journal of Polymer Science Part A: Polymer Chemistry. 2009;47(16):4074-82.
22. Behbudi G. Mini review of Graphene Oxide for medical detection and applications. Advances in Applied NanoBio-Technologies. 2020;1(3):63-6.
23. Zhang Y, Mao L, Liu J, Liu T. Self-fluorescent drug delivery vector based on genipin-crosslinked polyethylenimine conjugated globin nanoparticle. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2017;71:17-24.
24. Bahrani S, Hashemi SA, Mousavi SM, Azhdari R. Zinc-based metal–organic frameworks as nontoxic and biodegradable platforms for biomedical applications: review study. Drug metabolism reviews. 2019;51(3):356-77.
25. Zhou B, Zhao L, Shen M, Zhao J, Shi X. A multifunctional polyethylenimine-based nanoplatform for targeted anticancer drug delivery to tumors in vivo. Journal of Materials Chemistry B. 2017;5(8):1542-50.
26. Zhang JT, Xue YN, Gao FZ, Huang SW, Zhuo RX. Preparation of temperature‐sensitive poly (N‐isopropylacrylamide)/β‐cyclodextrin‐grafted polyethylenimine hydrogels for drug delivery. Journal of applied polymer science. 2008;108(5):3031-7.
27. Wolfbeis OS. An overview of nanoparticles commonly used in fluorescent bioimaging. Chemical Society Reviews. 2015;44(14):4743-68.
28. Mousavi SM, Zarei M, Hashemi SA, Babapoor A, Amani AM. A conceptual review of rhodanine: current applications of antiviral drugs, anticancer and antimicrobial activities. Artificial cells, nanomedicine, and biotechnology. 2019;47(1):1132-48.
29. Zhou B, Xiong Z, Wang P, Peng C, Shen M, Mignani S, et al. Targeted tumor dual mode CT/MR imaging using multifunctional polyethylenimine-entrapped gold nanoparticles loaded with gadolinium. Drug Delivery. 2018;25(1):178-86.
30. Liu C, Zhang P, Zhai X, Tian F, Li W, Yang J, et al. Nano-carrier for gene delivery and bioimaging based on carbon dots with PEI-passivation enhanced fluorescence. Biomaterials. 2012;33(13):3604-13.
31. Zhou B, Xiong Z, Zhu J, Shen M, Tang G, Peng C, et al. PEGylated polyethylenimine-entrapped gold nanoparticles loaded with gadolinium for dual-mode CT/MR imaging applications. Nanomedicine. 2016;11(13):1639-52.
32. Sun X, Cai C, Wang Q, Cai D, Qian J, Chi Y, et al. A polyethylenimine functionalized porous/hollow nanoworm as a drug delivery system and a bioimaging agent. Physical Chemistry Chemical Physics. 2016;18(11):7820-8.
33. Wang Y, Xiong Z, He Y, Zhou B, Qu J, Shen M, et al. Optimization of the composition and dosage of PEGylated polyethylenimine-entrapped gold nanoparticles for blood pool, tumor, and lymph node CT imaging. Materials Science and Engineering: C. 2018;83:9-16.
34. Zhou B, Zheng L, Peng C, Li D, Li J, Wen S, et al. Synthesis and characterization of PEGylated polyethylenimine-entrapped gold nanoparticles for blood pool and tumor CT imaging. ACS applied materials & interfaces. 2014;6(19):17190-9.
35. Mousavi S, Esmaeili H, Arjmand O, Karimi S, Hashemi S. Biodegradation study of nanocomposites of phenol novolac epoxy/unsaturated polyester resin/egg shell nanoparticles using natural polymers. Journal of Materials. 2015;2015:1-6.