Irrigation water Susceptibility Indexing method, Using Pesticide DRASTIC and Water quality index, for Basara basin; Kurdistan Region-Iraq
The increasing use of chemical fertilizers, with spreading industrial and urbanization activities in the whole area of the Basara basin expected to affect the quantity and quality of water from these sources of pollutants. The main aim of this research revolves around the integration of the intrinsic vulnerability Index (VI) through applying the pesticide DRASTIC method, with the irrigation quality index, to assess the irrigation susceptibility Index(SI) for the basin. The quality of groundwater for its suitability for irrigation purposes was measured by its hydro-chemical parameters in this research. Thirty-one water samples were collected in the studied area during the post-monsoon period of the year 2018. Samples have been tested for both physical and chemical parameters. The Geographic Information System (GIS) has been used for this assessment. The results indicate that water movement directions of streams, the geological formation of aquifers, land slope, and contamination sources have a great impact on water quality, vulnerability, and susceptibility index. The pesticide DRASTIC map categorizes the basin into five classes as (very low, low, moderate, high, and very high). Results show that the most vulnerable area to pollution is those that used for intensive agricultural and industrial sectors, besides the areas with high permeability and lands with minimum surface slopes which are intensively used as cultivated areas. The results indicate that the incorporation of both hydrogeological and hydro-chemical datasets enables more realistic evaluations than those of an individual dataset to estimate the groundwater contamination susceptibility of an aquifer. This work offers the decision-makers a clear photo of the quality of irrigation water and the area most vulnerable to contamination. This will be used as the basis for future research to mitigate the effects of vulnerable areas and to establish a new groundwater management strategy in the basin.
- Ghalib HB. Groundwater chemistry evaluation for drinking and irrigation utilities in east Wasit province, Central Iraq. Applied Water Science. 2017 Nov 1;7(7):3447-67.
- Abbasnia A, Radfard M, Mahvi AH, Nabizadeh R, Yousefi M, Soleimani H, Alimohammadi M. Groundwater quality assessment for irrigation purposes based on irrigation water quality index and its zoning with GIS in the villages of Chabahar, Sistan and Baluchistan, Iran. Data in brief. 2018 Aug 1;19:623-31.
- Aghazadeh N, Mogaddam AA. Assessment of groundwater quality and its suitability for drinking and agricultural uses in the Oshnavieh area, Northwest of Iran. Journal of Environmental protection. 2010 Mar 31;1(01):30.
- Jebastina N, Arulraj GP. GIS based assessment of groundwater quality in Coimbatore district, India. Journal of Environmental and Analytical Toxicology. 2017 Apr 7;7(3):1-9.
- Neshat A, Pradhan B, Dadras M. Groundwater vulnerability assessment using an improved DRASTIC method in GIS. Resources, Conservation and Recycling. 2014 May 1;86:74-86.
- Hamamin DF. Hydrogeological assessment and groundwater vulnerability map of Basara Basin, Sulaimani Governorate, Iraq, Kurdistan Region. Unpublished PhD thesis, College of Science, University of Sulaimani P. 2011;174.
- Evans BM, Myers WL. A GIS-based approach to evaluating regional groundwater pollution potential with DRASTIC. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation. 1990 Mar 1;45(2):242-5.
- Rosen L. A study of the DRASTIC methodology with emphasis on Swedish conditions. Ground water. 1994 Mar 1;32(2):278-285.
- Kim YJ, Hamm SY. Assessment of the potential for groundwater contamination using the DRASTIC/EGIS technique, Cheongju area, South Korea. Hydrogeology Journal. 1999 Apr 1;7(2):227-35.
- Shahid S. A study by groundwater pollution vulnerability using DRASTC/GIS, West Bengal, India. Journal of Environmental Hydrology. 2000;8.
- Pusatli OT, Camur MZ, Yazicigil H. Susceptibility indexing method for irrigation water management planning: applications to K. Menderes river basin, Turkey. Journal of environmental management. 2009 Jan 1;90(1):341-7.
- Ahmed AA. Using generic and pesticide DRASTIC GIS-based models for vulnerability assessment of the Quaternary aquifer at Sohag, Egypt. Hydrogeology Journal. 2009 Jul 1;17(5):1203-17.
- Asadi P, Hosseini SM, Ataie-Ashtiani B, Simmons CT. Fuzzy vulnerability mapping of urban groundwater systems to nitrate contamination. Environmental modelling & software. 2017 Oct 1;96:146-57.
- Khosravi K, Sartaj M, Tsai FT, Singh VP, Kazakis N, Melesse AM, Prakash I, Bui DT, Pham BT. A comparison study of DRASTIC methods with various objective methods for groundwater vulnerability assessment. Science of the total environment. 2018 Nov 15;642:1032-49.
- Aller L. DRASTIC: a standardized system for evaluating ground water pollution potential using hydrogeologic settings. Robert S. Kerr Environmental Research Laboratory, Office of Research and Development, US Environmental Protection Agency; 1985.
- Rupert MG. Improvements to the DRASTIC ground-water vulnerability mapping method. US Geological Survey.National Water-Quality Assesment Program–NAWQA. 1999. https://doi.org/10.3133/fs06699
- Murray KS, Rogers DT. Groundwater vulnerability, brownfield redevelopment and land use planning. Journal of Environmental Planning and Management. 1999 Nov 1;42(6):801-10.
- Fritch TG, McKnight CL, Yelderman Jr JC, Dworkin SI, Arnold JG. A predictive modeling approach to assessing the groundwater pollution susceptibility of the Paluxy Aquifer, Central Texas, using a geographic information system. Environmental Geology. 2000 Jul 1;39(9):1063-9.
- Fredrick KC, Becker MW, Flewelling DM, Silavisesrith W, Hart ER. Enhancement of aquifer vulnerability indexing using the analytic-element method. Environmental geology. 2004 Jun 1;45(8):1054-61.
- Jovanovic NZ, Adams S, Thomas A, Fey M, Beekman HE, Campbell R, Saayman I, Conrad J. Improved DRASTIC method for assessment of groundwater vulnerability to generic aqueousphase contaminants. WIT Transactions on Ecology and the Environment. 2006 Jun 1;92.
- Javadi S, Kavehkar N, Mousavizadeh MH, Mohammadi K. Modification of DRASTIC model to map groundwater vulnerability to pollution using nitrate measurements in agricultural areas. J Agric Sci Technol. 2011;13(2):239-249.
- He H, Li X, Li X, Cui J, Zhang W, Xu W. Optimizing the DRASTIC Method for Nitrate Pollution in Groundwater Vulnerability Assessments: a Case Study in China. Polish Journal of Environmental Studies. 2018 Jan 1;27(1), 95-107.
- Barzegar R, Asghari Moghaddam A, Norallahi S, Inam A, Adamowski J, Alizadeh MR, Bou Nassar J. Modification of the DRASTIC framework for mapping groundwater vulnerability zones. Groundwater. 2020 May;58(3):441-52.
- Jassim SZ, Goff JC, editors. Geology of Iraq. DOLIN, sro, distributed by Geological Society of London; 2006.
- Stevanovic Z, Markovic M. Hydrogeology of Northern Iraq, climate, hydrology, geomorphology and geology. Spec. Edition FAO / UN. 2003:1-122 (63 annexes)
- Hamamin DF, Ali SS. Hydrodynamic study of karstic and intergranular aquifers using isotope geochemistry in Basara basin, Sulaimani, North-Eastern Iraq. Arabian Journal of Geosciences. 2013 Aug 1;6(8):2933-40.
- Saidi S, Bouri S, Dhia HB, Anselme B. A GIS-based susceptibility indexing method for irrigation and drinking water management planning: Application to Chebba–Mellouleche Aquifer, Tunisia. Agricultural Water Management. 2009 Dec 1;96(12):1683-90.
- Kumar A, Pramod Krishna A. Groundwater vulnerability and contamination risk assessment using GIS-based modified DRASTIC-LU model in hard rock aquifer system in India. Geocarto International. 2020 Aug 17;35(11):1149-78.
- Neukum C, Hötzl H. Standardization of vulnerability maps. Environmental Geology. 2007 Jan 1;51(5):689-94.
- WCCR (Water Contamination Control Regulations). Official Paper. Ankara. 1991;19919.
- Sedrati N, Djabri L. Contribution of hydrochemistry to the characterization and assessment of groundwater resources: the case of Tebessa alluvial aquifer (Algeria). Proceedings of the International Association of Hydrological Sciences. 2014 Sep 16;364:458-63.
- Don CM. A grows guide to water quality. University college station, Texas. 1995:601-9.
- Ayers RS, Westcot DW. Water quality for agriculture. Rome: Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations; 1985.
- Ali SS, Hamamin DF. Groundwater Vulnerability Map of Basara Basin, Sulaimani Governorate, Iraqi Kurdistan Region. Iraqi Journal of Science. 2012;53(3):579-94.