Effect of fenugreek seed extract on carbofuran-inhibited spermatogenesis and induced apoptosis in albino rats
Carbofuran is a broad spectrum carbamate pesticide used against different pests. Fenugreek (Trigonella foenum graecum) is used as a medicinal plant and showed many therapeutic effects. The present work studied the effect of aqueous extract of fenugreek seeds on carbofuran induced testicular toxicity in albino rats. Treating rats with carbofuranfor 6 weeks induced significant decrease in testis weights, diameters and germinal epithelial heights of the seminiferous tubules. Histological results revealed intertubular hemorrhage, degeneration of the interstitial tissue and reduction of spermatogenic cells. Expression of caspase-3 and bax increased in the vgerm cells. Biochemical results showed decrease of testosterone and LH in sera of the treated animalsCoadministration of carbofuran with fenugreek seeds extracts ameliorates the histopathological alterations caused by carbofuran in testes of albino rats. Moreover, it caused decrease of apoptosis as indicated by decrease of expression of caspase-3 and bax, and increased testosterone and LH. It is concluded that the effect of fenugreek against testicular toxicity of carbofuran may be due to the antioxidant activity of its constituents (e.g. flavonoids and polyphenols).
2. Gupta RC. Carbofuran toxicity. J Toxicol Environmt Health 1994; 43: 383-418.
3. Baron RL. Carbamates insecticides. In: Handbook of pesticide Toxicology. Hays WJ, Laus ER, eds, San Diego, 1991.
4. Pant N, Prasad AK, Srivastava SC,et al. Effect of oral administration of carbofuran on male reproductive system of rat. Hum Exp Toxicol. 1995; 14(11): 889-894.
5. Yousef MI, Salem MH, Ibrahim HZ, et al. Toxic effects of carbofuran and glyphosate on semen characteristics in rabbits. J. Environ Sci Health. 1995; 30(4): 513-534.
6. Pant N, Shankar R, Srivastava SP. In utero and lactational exposure of carbofuran to rats: Effect on testes and sperm. Human. Experim Toxicol. 1997; 16: 267-272.
7. El-Amoudi WM. Protective effect of vitamin C against carbofuran-induced testicular toxicity in albino mice. J American Science. 2012; 8(1): 335-341.
8. Kaviarasan S, Naik GH, Gangabhagirathi R, et al. In vitro studies on antiradical and antioxidant activities of fenugreek (Trigonella foenum-graecum) seeds. Food Chem. 2007; 103: 31-37.
9. Xue WL, Li XS, Zhang J, et al. Effect of Trigonella foenum-graecum (fenugreek) extract on blood glucose, blood lipid and hemorheological properties in streptozotocin-induced diabetic rats. Asia Pacific J Clinic Nutrition. 2007;16(Suppl. 1): 422–426.
10. Abou El-Soud NH, Khalil MY, Hussein JS, et al. Antidiabetic effect of Fenugreek extract in streptozotocin-induced hyperglycemic rats. J Appl Sci Res. 2007; 3 (10): 1073-1083.
11. Sakr SA, El-Shenawy SM, El-shabka AM. Aqueous fenugreek seed extract ameliorates adriamycin-induced cytotoxicity and testicular alterations in albino Rats. Reprod Sci. 2012; 19(1): 70-80.
12. Maruyama Y, Aoki N, Suzuki Y, et al. Sex-steroid-binding plasma protein (SBP), testosterone, oestradiol and dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) in prepuberty and puberty. Acta Endocrinol (Copenh). 1987; 114: 60-67.
13. Aziz N, Walliullah SSh, Nasir RA. Histological changes in male rat reproductive organs post-treated with insecticide carbofuran (Furadan). Annals of Microscopy. 2008;8: 83-89.
14. Hematian H. Testicular histomorphometry and endocrine alterations at puberty in offsprings from mercury treated rats .J Infertil Reprod Biol. 2014; 2(1): 6-11.
15. Goad RT, Goad JT, Atieh BH, Gupta RC. Carbofuran-induced endocrine disruption in adult male rats. Toxicology mechanisms and methods. 2004; 14 (4): 233-239.
16. Calviello G, Piccioni E, Boninsegna A, et al. DNA damage and apoptosis induction by the pesticide mancozeb in rat cells: involvement of the oxidative mechanism. Toxicology and Applied Pharmacology. 2006; 211: 87–96.
17. Song Y, Liang X, Hu Y, et al. P,p’-DDE induces mitochondria-mediated apoptosis of cultured rat Sertoli cells. Toxicol. 2008; 253: 53-61.
18. Shi YQ, Wang Y, Song Y, et al. P,p-DDE induces
testicular apoptosis in prepubertal rats via the Fas/FasL pathway. Toxicol Letters. 2010; 193: 79-85.
19. Saradha B, Vaithinathan S, Mathur PP. Lindane induces testicular apoptosis in adult Wistar rats through the involvement of Fas-FasL and mitochondria-dependent pathways. Toxicol. 2009; 255(3): 131-139.
20. Vaithinathan S, Saradha B, Mathur PP. Methoxychlor induces apoptosis via mitochondria- and FasL-mediated pathways in adult rat testis. Chem Biol Interact. 2010; 185(2): 110-108.
21. Sakr SA, El-Amoudi WM. Effects of ginger extract on deltamethrin induced histomorpholo-gical and immunohistochemical changes in testes of albino rats. Life Science Journal. 2012; 9(1): 771-778.
22. Rai DK, Sharma B. Carbofuran-induced oxidative stress in mammalian brain. Mol Biotechnol. 2007; 37(1): 66-71
23.Lamfon AH. Effect of fenugreek seed extract on carbendazim-inhibited spermatogenesis in albino rat. J Appl Pharmaceutical Science. 2012; 2(4): 9-13.
24. Hamden Kh, Jaouadi B, Carreau S, et al. Potential protective effect on key steroidogenesis and metabolic enzymes and sperm abnormalities by fenugreek steroids in testis and epididymis of surviving diabetic rats. Arch Physiol Biochem.
2010; 116 (3): 146-155.
25. Khalil M, Mondal DK, Yousuf BM, et al. Effect of fenugreek seeds on the fasting blood glucose level in the streptozotocin induced diabetic rats. Mymensingh Med J. 2014; 13(2): 161-164.
26. Billaud C. Composition, nutritional value and physiological properties of fenugreek. Adrian J Sci des Ailments. 2001; 21(1): 3-26.
27. Kaviarsan S, Vijayalakshmi K, Anuradha CV. Polyphenol-rich extract of Fenugreek seeds protect erythrocytes from oxidative damage. Plant Food Hum. Nutr. 2004; 59: 143-147.
28. Ravikumar P, Anuradha CV. Effect of fenugreek seeds on blood oxidation and antioxidants in diabetic rats. Phytother. Res. 1999; 13(3): 197-201.
29. Choudhary D, Chandra D, Choudhary S, et al. Modulation of glyoxalase, glutathione-S-transferase and antioxidant enzymes in the liver, spleen and erythrocytes of mice by dietary administration of fenugreek seeds. Food Chem Toxicol. 2001; 39: 989-997.
30. Dinakaran V, Sridharan S, Periyasamy L, et al. In vitro antioxidant effects of Trigonella foenum graecum (L.) Fenugreek seed extract on sheep red blood cells. J. Medicinal Plants Res. 2012; 6(38): 5119-5127.
31. Belaïd NY, Bakhta H, Haouas Z, et al. Fenugreek seeds, a hepatoprotector forage crop against chronic AlCl3 toxicity. BMC Veterinary Res. 9:22 doi:10.1186/1746-6148-9-22,2013.